How To Make Sure Your Car
Is Ready For The Winter
When winter approaches there are some basic things you must do to make sure your vehicle remains reliable and safe:
- Have your cooling system cleaned and flushed, and add new antifreeze.
- A thorough cooling system check should include a leak test. This is where they put the cooling system under pressure and visually inspect for leaks. Ask your mechanic to do this, in the event that it is not part of his regular cooling system service.
- Make sure that all of your radiator and heater hoses are also checked. If any of them show signs of cracking, rotting or softness replace them immediately.
- Check and replace all fan belts that are cracked or worn.
- Check your windshield wipers for wear. Replace if needed.
- Have your brakes and tires checked. Replace any worn parts in the brakes and any worn tires.
- Also make sure your spare tire has air in it, and that you know how to safely use your jack and lug wrench.
- Make sure your heater, defroster and rear defogger are all working properly.
- Have your battery and charging system checked for optimum performance. Don't take any chances here.
- Carry emergency equipment on board your
vehicle, including jumper cables, a flash light with fresh batteries, flares, blankets and if at all possible a cell
- And don't forget to keep plenty of gas in your